For a long time I did not share with you a delicious recipe, all the fault - vacation :). Actually, during it and I was filled Thai cuisine and want to bring to your attention one of the most popular dishes in Thailand - coconut milk soup, Tom Kha.
As for me, Tom Kha - is even more than soup. Or rather, not the soup, which we present more often, speaking of soups in our latitudes.
Tom Kha has a unique sweet-spicy taste, filled with aromas of herbs: lemon grass, cilantro, lime leaves. Also, ginger root - an indispensable ingredient - spicing and flavoring a bright shade. The amount of chili (or lack of it), you can adjust sharpness, as well as the extent to which the warming will be your Tom Kha.
In short, and there's room for your imagination. In addition, you can cook it with chicken, shrimp and other seafood, or else all to make it vegetarian.
Do not be confused by the names of rare herbs: now increasingly be found on their markets or in special sections of supermarkets (where they are packaged and sold in sets with corresponding names). Also spice kits Tom Kha and other Thai soups can be ordered online.
It should be noted that variations in the preparation of this soup a lot. What can I say, even in every Thai restaurant it is prepared differently. Unchanged only the basic ingredients.
My version of the Tom Kha soup is very easy to prepare. And if you love him the ingredients individually, I assure you, the taste will captivate you! Dish truly exotic (and, by the way, is very satisfying :), which can surprise and relatives, and to submit to the holiday table.
Tom Kha: a step by step recipe
Ingredients (for 2-3 servings):
- chicken broth - 300 ml;
- coconut milk - 200-250 ml;
- lemongrass - ½ stalk (or 3-4 pinch of dried);
- Fresh ginger - 1 small root;
- cilantro - 1 beam;
- lime juice - 2 tb;
- mushrooms (fresh or canned) - 100 g;
- chicken or seafood - 200-250 g;
- tomato - 2 pieces. small (or large 1);
- shallots - a pair of stems;
- onion - 1 pieces;
- lime leaves (optional) - 2-3 pieces;
- chili (optional) - 1 pieces. or to your taste;
- salt - ½ tsp
The stalk lemongrass need to recapture a bit to let the juice and cut into pieces of 1-2 cm.
Chicken broth, bring to a boil, add the chopped circles ginger, lemongrass and lime leaves (if using), coarsely chopped onions and tomatoes, simmer 5-7 minutes on low heat.
Add the coconut milk, finely chopped chili (optional). Then - mushrooms (cut into halves or quarters), chicken or seafood and cook until done (if the chicken - the minutes 7-10; seafood welded a couple of minutes). Season with salt.
Remove from heat, and only then add the coriander, shallot and lime juice.
Thai soup, Tom Kha ready - bon appetit!
PS If you cook the first time Tom Kha
- Lime juice is required to add at the very end, just before serving. Boiling softens its taste (and kills all the nutrients), but we need a fresh scent.
- Pouring on the plates (or large bowls, as in Thailand), do not fear the abundance of greenery, stems and ginger - they should not be ignored. At the plate, they will continue to give its flavor, but they have not necessarily (stems and roots, as well as large chopped onion can be left at the bottom).
- Serve Tom Kha can with rice varieties Jasmin (In a separate bowl). Ideally - steamed.